Wednesday, December 10, 2008

seafood selector

I think it is safe to say that I consider myself more of an ecotarian than a vegetarian. If there were an official term for someone who practices the principles of Michael Pollan, I suppose that would be the ideal "-tarian title" for me. I digress... What I am trying to say is that, living in close proximity to the East Coast and Chesapeake Bay, I eat my fair share of seafood but have been meaning to find out the most environmentally responsible way to do so.

Yesterday, as luck would have it (and as a contributing member) I received the Environmental Defense Fund's Pocket Seafood Selector that lists the best, worst, and okay seafood choices for you and the ocean. I've listed some of the best and worst, based on environmental and health factors, below but please check out/download to your mobile phone/print the seafood and sushi guides and learn more on this website. No more Chilean Sea bass for me.


BEST:

Char, Arctic (farmed)
Mackeral, Atlantic
Oysters (farmed)
Sablefish/black cod (Alaska, Canada)
Salmon (Alaska wild)
Salmon, canned pink/sockeye
Sardines (U.S.)
Trout, rainbow (farmed)
Tuna, albacore (Canada,U.S.)


WORST:

Chilean sea bass
Grouper
Orange Roughy
Salmon, farmed or Atlantic
Shark
Swordfish (imported)
Tuna, bigeye (longline)
Tuna, yellowfin (imported longline)
Tuna, bluefin

No comments: