Tuesday, December 2, 2008

certified organic people?

Tara Parker-Pope put up an interesting post yesterday about going organic - or more specifically, about Dr. Allen Greene's attempt to eat 100% organic over the course of three years (because that is the amount of time it takes to have a breeding animal certified organic by the Department of Agriculture).

As you would expect, Greene joined a CSA, cut back on his meat consumption, and notes the high cost and challenges of eating 100% organic. Check out the entire post here and this interesting tidbit from Parker-Pope's post:

On the road, though, life was more challenging. In corporate cafeterias and convenience stores, he looked for stickers that began with the number 9 to signify organic; stickers on conventionally grown produce begin with 4.

2 comments:

Kairol Rosenthal said...

As a young adult cancer patient I strive to maintain a healthy diet without becoming a psycho-vegan-girl-scout. I have limited my meat intake to only organic meat and because of its costs, I eat much less meat in general. I’ve seen no concrete, scientific evidence to prove that a totally organic or vegetarian diet will impact my tumor growth. I’m happy to be a human experiment though, yet with a bit less vigor, compliance, and cash flow than Dr. Greene.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Wonderful to hear that you are a cancer survivor! As far as organic eating habits, you and I have a lot in common. I too am far from the vegan-girl-scout but aim to purchase local, organic/natural foods whenever possible. Thanks for sharing!