Monday, September 15, 2008

NY Times most emailed...

Tara Parker-Pope writes candid and valuable advice about how to have success diversifying your children's diet in the article The Six Food Mistakes Parents Make that appeared in yesterday's special: Good Health Guide. I took a little heat for my comments about an interactive feature addressing childhood obesity that the Washington Post put out last week so I am happy to praise a similar piece in this post. And clearly I am not the only one as this has quickly shot to the top of the "most emailed" list.

Here are the six mistakes:

1.) Sending children out of the kitchen
2.) Pressuring them to take a bite
3.) Keeping good stuff out of reach
4.) Dieting in front of your children
5.) Serving boring vegetables
6.) Giving up too soon

As a former (famously) picky eater of a child I have to say, these are good tips. Absolutely read the entire article though. The experts cited have some really great ideas based in some solid research.


susan allport said...

Thought you would be interested in this short omega-3 video:

holly said...

I absolutely agree with the dieting in front of your kids part. I've seen a couple kids obsessed with their weight and they are young (8-12) and are perfectly fine weight-wise. They are just aware of Mom and her obsession. Kids are like sponges. They hear everything and remember it. Sharing that behavior is very risky...

blog administrator said...

Thanks, Susan. I looked at the video but there was no sound? Think I got the gist though. I really want to check out your latest book. Like you, I am a firm believer that the benefits of proper nutitrition/health are many and Omega 3s have been dissappearing from the westrn diet, havten't they? I sometimes question whether those benefits remain when the nutrient/vitamin/mineral is taken out of the whole food and put into supplement form. I think a lot of people are beginning to question that. What are your thoughts? How were the Morris rats in the video given omega 3s?

Becky said...

good tips for a mom-to-be