Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Get ready for Earth Day!


I know what you're all thinking: "What can I do this Earth Day to reduce my carbon footprint?" Well, you've come to the right place. JustSaying likes to use these days/weeks of Earth Awareness to highlight the simple daily decisions you can all make that will have the greatest impact on the planet. We've sorted through the Official 2010 Earth Day Action Campaign and would like to suggest that our readers adhere to a few of the following pledges submitted by greenies like us:
  • I will abstain from meat at least one day a week to curb carbon emissions from the livestock industry.
  • I will use a reusable water bottle and coffee mug.
  • I will buy local produce whenever possible.
  • If I see a piece of litter I will pick it up.
  • I will pay my bills online and take the time to make a phone call and stop paper statements.
  • I will call my utility provider and make sure I am using the greenest energy option available.
  • I will take shorter showers.
  • I will turn off the tap when brushing my teeth.
  • I will turn off lights, computers and other electronics when not in use.
  • I will unplug my cell phone charger, microwave, etc when not in use.
  • I will opt for environmentally friendly cleaning products.
  • I will use public transport more often.
  • I will use fewer paper towels.
  • I will recycle more.
Thinking of a pledge that we haven't listed? Be sure and add it to our comment section and post it on the Earth Day Action Center's website - where you can browse and sign tons of great pledges and green ideas.

If you're looking for an activity to celebrate, might we recommend helping out our friends over at the Chesapeake Bay Foundation this Sunday April 25th from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Volunteers are needed to help plant over 1,000 native trees and shrubs at the Foundation’s Holly Beach Farm located near the Bay Bridge in Annapolis. The vegetation planted will filter pollution and sediment coming from adjacent farm fields. This activity is suitable for adults, families, youth and community groups. Please bring shovels, work gloves, insect repellent, a water bottle/lunch and a smile. Registration is required though so sign up by sending your complete contact information to Marcy Damon at MDRestoration@cbf.org

No comments: