Still in the early stages, leaders in the sustainability projects on campus are considering the possible cnsequences of such a ban - students opting for less-healthy (and still bottled) soda instead, and
the scholorship program that benefits from the funds (approximately $280,000 yearly) brought in by vending machines.
Other initiatives on the table for 2010 include:
- Re-using water from sinks and showers to flush toilets
- Discontinued printing mass copies of phone directories
- Solar-powered trash compactors
- Ways to keep students from shaving in the shower (wasting water)
- And switching the schools fleet of hybrid cars to plug-in hybrids
Hopefully the young adults and faculty advisors who are striving for sustainability at CU Boulder will inspire folks at universities nationwide. Learn more here and here.