Monday, July 13, 2009

Green Pet, Good Pet

If you can't already tell, I'm for pets. Furry ones. Slippery, scaly ones. Ones that aren't really pets but hang out on your lawn and enjoy regular meals you've laid out for them. I like to think that while they sometimes take a toll on your wallet and perhaps the environment (think black-market slider turtles released into Maryland waters), the companionship, activity and love they provide is paramount to any gaming system or whatever else kids play with these days. But I digress. The question that keeps me up at night is this: What's a dog-loving, eco-activist to do about the doo doo? And can I enjoy the company of a friendly little fish while I blog without pangs of guilt about the two gallons of water required weekly to keep his bowl clean and clear?

Luckily, there are others out there like me. You'll notice a new addition to my list of suggested books, Green Dog, Good Dog: Reducing Your Best Friend's Carbon Paw Print, by Dominique De Vito. My mom discovered this gem the other day and while I am proud to report that I already opt for biodegradable bags, I learned that a Canine Cleanup day is long overdue in my neighborhood and intend to dedicate an entire post to www.flushpuppies.com in the near future. I'd also like to suggest a recent post by Slate's Green Lantern contributor, Nina Shen Rastogi, addressing the environmental impact of our aquatic friends. As you would guess, the greenest fish are freshwater, low-maintenance, and fairly small.

No comments: