Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Undecided...

Check out the NY Times review, Between Covers: An Anticancer Infomercial, of David Servan-Schreiber’s book, “Anticancer: A New Way of Life.” From this review alone, I'm not sure how I feel about reading the book. Skeptical might be a good adjective. I am interested in it from the standpoint that I agree with the basic theory: what we put in, around, and on our bodies plays a major role in terms of the risk of developing cancer and the likelihood of fighting it off. But there's something about the phrase "A New Way of Life" that makes me think L. Ron Hubbard... or South Beach Diet. Ugh.

On the other hand, I have not come face to face with cancer and after reading this excerpt I am inclined to believe that the book surpasses a typical best-selling-how-to and will, at the very least, encourage the optimism cancer patients need to possess in order to win their battle.

No comments: