Friday, September 19, 2008

Hunters often overlooked

Those of you who have had a conversation with me regarding my decisions to remove meat from my diet know that my reasoning is 50% environmental, 25% because of my love for animals and an inability to support an industry that mistreats them and treats them with God-knows-what that can't be good for them or us, and 25% due to the Pollan-esque feeling of being so disconnected from the hunting, killing, butchering and so forth process that I find myself to be... well... undeserving. For those of you that I haven't spoken to about this, basically, I can connect to growing vegetables but not to butchering an animal. Those who can connect - i.e. the hunters that earn their meat, are highly respected in my eyes and I feel like they are entitled to their meat more than the majority.

In this article in The Washington Post on Monday, Steve Sanetti, the president and chief executive of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, wrote about the 15-20 million often-overlooked population that have lived an eco-friendly, sustainable lifestyle long before "organic" and "renewable" became all the buzz. It is an educational read and I'm glad to see the topic written about. I even have to admit that I love Sanetti's closing line: "For us, the amusing irony is that American society, which has looked down its nose at hunters more sternly with each passing generation, is discovering that camouflage has been a primary shade of green all along."

(thnx Lisa)

No comments: