Friday, August 15, 2008

Thirsty?

While chatting about recycling with a friend yesterday (I'm not kidding LOL) we got to talking about bottled water, recycling scandals in Baltimore, and some workplace scandals that I dare not blog about.

I said, over my reusable bottle filled with tap water, "You don't drink bottled water, do you?!" A spirited conversation about the luxury of living in an area with such clean tap water followed. But, if in a crunch, we both admitted to grabbing the occasional Evian or Dasani water from a vending machine, at an outdoor festival, or a convenience store. Ah... convenience... the root of all things eco-unfriendly.

So this morning I've consulted my practical guide to making eco-smart choices: Green Greener Greenest, by Lori Bongiorno.

GREEN:
Minimize consumption of bottles water. This will save you money too.

GREENER:
Always drink tap water at home (if you have access to clean municipal sources)(which I am pretty certain you do if you are online reading a blog).

GREENEST:
Eliminate ALL bottled water. Purchase a reusable bottle and fill up from the tap or water fountain. If you are weary of the tap at work, think about lobbying to have a filtration system installed in your office.


My personal reusable bottle recommendation is definitely the Sigg. I know Nalgene has long been the leader in the industry and I still use one at work, but for travel or anything outdoors, the light-weight aluminum of the Sigg is unbeatable. Not to mention the fact that you have so many options as far as the cap/spout is concerned as well as design-wise.

Look for one at your local REI, Whole Foods or sporting goods store. If you want to personalize your Sigg, check out http://www.mysigg.com/

I'm proud to say that I fit somewhere between the Greener and Greenest line. Most of my friends and family do as well. Let's keep it up y'all!

(thnx Tina)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

aww my greenest friend. Um so maybe you could write a book? Just saying...I think you'd do a good job and then you can be rich AND donate money to the earth like the tea guy (i'm reading your blogs in backwards order).